Saturday, March 14, 2009

Linked Data

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/tim_berners_lee_on_the_next_web.html

Ted Berners Lee did a great presentation on Linked Data. It's basically about how if the web is so interconnected now and if we all did our part to add to that data that is all interconnected, we would have this great "grass roots" revolution. It sounds like he trying to bring the next information age. It's really a great idea.

A great idea. But it begs me to ask, "Who will moderate it?"


Take a good look at that picture. I love the idea that each person can add to the just the smallest part of the web and it can generate huge amounts of "real" usable data. But I wonder about the immature teenagers that will go about doing these kinds of things. It really spoils my view on this idea.

Wikipedia has moderators that go around and check for these kinds of things and will erase it if necessary but who will moderate the entire web? Or do we micro-manage and each "public" site has it's own moderators that will look for this immature postings?

Sadly, I'm only an entry level software engineer that has no job and will graduate this semester amidst the worst economy in years. But things like this interest me and I love to work on it.

No comments: